We all need a safe, comforting place to sleep every night and that goes for dogs too! A good quality dog bed matters because it gives your dog a sense of comfort and security.
A dog bed is a place that’s just for them. This means they can relax there and you can claim back your bed and couch for yourself! Your pup should feel warm, supported and safe in their bed. The problem is, there are so many options to choose from. How do you know what’s right for your pup?
How to choose a dog bed
Every dog has their preferences when it comes to where they sleep. While they can’t tell you exactly what they want, there are a few things that can give you a clue.
When choosing a bed for your dog, consider the following factors:
- How does your dog sleep? Whether they sleep belly up, curled in a ball or stretched out, you’ll want a bed that suits their sleeping style.
- How durable does the bed need to be? Will the bed be used indoors or outdoors? Does it need to endure car rides and camping trips too?
Whatever type or size of bed you choose, make sure it’s washable. Dogs get dirty and smelly. Accidents happen. Sometimes they roll in muck and then go and lie in their clean bed, much to our disappointment. A washable bed makes it a million times easier to keep things clean and fresh.
We often get asked ‘how often should I wash my dog’s bed?’. Whenever it starts to smell or look dirty! Once a fortnight is generally a good rule of thumb.
What size dog bed should I get?
Your dog’s bed should be large enough so that they can lie comfortably on it in all positions. They might like to curl up when they sleep, but they should also have enough room to stretch out if they want to.
Measure your dog from the tip of their nose to the tail. That’s a good indication of how long the bed needs to be. Measure your dog from their shoulder to the floor. The bed should be at least that wide.
At Creatures of Comfort, we offer six sizes:
- XX Large for dogs up to 130cm (up to 90kg)
- X Large for dogs up to 110cm (up to 60kg)
- Large for dogs up to 90cm (up to 40kg)
- Medium for dogs up to 70cm (up to 25kg)
- Small for dogs up to 50cm (up to 15kg)
- X Small for dogs up to 30cm (up to 5kg)
What type of dog bed should I get?
How does your dog like to sleep? Do they lay on their side, stretch out like superman, curl up into a doughnut or sleep with their belly up?
Knowing your dog's sleeping habits can help you choose the ideal type of bed for them.
The top 3 types of dog beds are:
- Sofa Beds
- Soft Walled Box Beds
- Mattress Beds
Soft walled box beds are great for dogs that prefer to sleep curled up. The walls and boxy shape provide a sense of security and comfort. These beds are also great for young dogs who are used to cuddling up to the other pups in their litter.
Sofa beds have smaller walls than box beds, making them easier to get in and out of. They still have a sense of security, but also plenty of room to sprawl if your dog likes to sleep stretched out.
Mattress beds allow for free movement as well as offering comfort and support. They have no walls, making them easy to get in and out of for older dogs, or dogs with joint pain.
What material should my dog’s bed be?
The ideal dog bed should be comfortable, washable, moisture-resistant and durable. When looking for the right bed for your dog, make sure you check out the materials used.
If you’re like us and have previously bought cheap, stock-standard dog beds, you know that they can be very disappointing. They start smelling quickly, lose their padding and need replacing far too soon. Not only are they a waste of materials, these dog beds aren’t worth what you pay for them.
Dog beds that have been made with quality materials last longer, provide better comfort for our pups and can be washed to maintain a fresh smell and appearance.
At Creatures of Comfort, our George Barclay dog beds feature:
- Handpicked upholstery fabrics and materials which are soft and inviting, and extremely durable.
- Machine washable covers so that you can keep the bed smelling and looking fresh. Additional covers are available to ensure your dog always has a place to sleep while you’re washing.
- Specially designed fabrics and liners with moisture resistant technology that lets the bed breathe.
- Orthopaedic blended memory foam particles which provide the highest standard comfort and support for your dog.
- Memory topper mattresses which provide excellent support and stability, especially for older dogs and dogs with mobility issues.
Best beds for older dogs and dogs with joint pain
A quality dog bed is really important for older dogs and dogs with mobility issues. The bed should give them excellent support and comfort, while being easy to get in and out of.
If you are wondering how to pick a bed for an older dog, we recommend choosing one with a memory foam mattress topper. The mattress topper offers excellent support and stability and makes it easier for your dog to get in and out of their bed.
Need help finding the perfect bed for your dog?
If you’re still not sure what bed’s right for your dog, hop on over to our dog bed selector tool. Alternatively, get in touch with us and we’d be happy to help you find your pup a comfy bed they’ll love.